Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Musical Images....

I really love Aaron Copeland.  His music is so rich in texture and variety of rhythm and sound, and not only is it sound, but it is American sound- things I associate with all that makes America what it is: bold but soft when needed, delicate and sophisticated but strong, and full of adventure. His music spans from the Appalachians to the wild lands of Texas and every beautiful country lane and big city in between.

His music visually, tactilely, olfactory, and physically inspires me to such beautiful images of America as it was in the days of the Old West, and what it can be again. I know that sounds a bit melodramatic, but that's how deeply his music stirs me.

I'm not a patriotic person by nature, but this music makes me love my country in a way I don't feel every day.  I also do not know if the bleak economy has anything to do with my constant looking back to the past, because things weren't all peachy back then-it's just something different and exciting.  That feeling is just exaggerated by Mr. Copeland's music that is full of that same energy...but I digress, I am starting to not make sense even to myself so I will stop...

No comments: