Monday, February 23, 2009

Sometimes...



...I suprise myself.  This is a sketch for a larger painting I am working towards getting started on [that's a mouthful!] and it turned out to be a delightful surprise!

This originally was going to be a portrait of Captain Hook as portrayed by Jason Isaacs from the new movie.  I want to do a series of three paintings of Hook as portrayed by different actors that encompass different aspects of Hooks personality.  Mr. Isaacs portrait was going to be lonliness, because after all Hook is "old, alone, and done for"  which would depress me too!

However, in an interesting twist of fate this did not turn out looking anything like Mr. Isaacs.  I'm not very good with likenesses, but I really like my own version of Captain Hook, and it seems better to have my own interpretation instead of doing just a portrait of another actor [that will come later!]

Now the perspective is a little off on the nose and the eyes, but considering I did this while running sound for a spelling bee in a loud smoky bar, I think it is pretty damn good!  We shall see if I can aptly translate this onto canvas with the same emotional content!

And one more thing: I hate, I hate, I hate! Drawing facial hair! Hehe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! Much more realistic than the other pieces I've seen you do lately. And I think that's what you were going for, so you achieved your goal!

Dread Pirate Lainey said...

Woot! I'm a little afraid of trying it on canvas, but at least I can always go back to this and paint a nice tree on the canvas if it doesn't work!

Anonymous said...

POST MORE!!

The end.

*runs away*

*can't judge distances because am wearing glasses instead of contacts today and runs into door frame*

*staggers*

*runs away more*